As Behavioral Consulting of Tampa Bay expands into the Brandon market in March 2013, it is important that the local community understand the core services that we offer in order to determine if BCOTB is a good fit for their child and their family. Our primary population includes children between the ages of 0-18 with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). We also work with individuals who do not have a formal diagnosis but who engage in problem behavior or who are lacking skills such as communication and/or social skills. The programs used for these clients may include one or more of the following:
- Skill Acquisition Program- This program is designed for children who are lacking functional skills such as communication, self-help skills, academic skills, social skills and/or play skills. Many of the children involved in this program have a formal diagnosis of Autism, PDD-NOS or communication delays. An initial skill assessment is conducted (VB-Mapp) and a program is developed to target each area of concern. The skills are taught in a 1:1 setting for approximately 10 hours per week by a trained behavior therapist/behavior analyst using the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis. This program can last anywhere from 6 months to several years depending on the needs of the child.
- Behavior Reduction Program- This program is recommended for children who may or may not have a formal diagnosis but who engage in problem behavior in the home, school, or community setting. This program involves interviews with the child’s caregivers/school staff, observations of the behaviors in the setting in which it occurs, records reviews, data collection reviews, development of a formal behavior plan, and training and follow-up provided to the caregivers on the plan. This program is a short-term program and usually takes a few months to complete.
- Intensive Toilet Training Program- Our toilet training program is targeted for children who are difficult to train and usually involve children who have a diagnosis of Autism or PDD-NOS. It includes 36 hours of home-based interventions in which the child is taught to successfully initiate toilet use (urination training) in his/her home by a trained therapist/behavior analyst in a 1:1 setting. Each program is overseen by a Board Certified Behavior Analyst who remains “on-call” during the duration of the toilet training process. This program is highly effective for any child who has not been successful with more common toilet training procedures.
- Intensive Feeding Program- The intensive feeding program is recommended for children who have a limited diet and avoid eating a wide variety of foods of varying textures. The program is implemented in the clinic in a 1:1 setting with a Board Certified Behavior/Assistant Behavior Analyst at least 1-2 times per week for the duration of 2 hours. The program utilizes negative and positive reinforcement and usually lasts 3-6 months. It is an extremely effective program for a child who engages in food refusal due to problem behavior or sensory issues.
- IEP Development and Assistance- BCOTB offers IEP development and assistance for the clients who have been evaluated for the Skill Acquisition Program. This includes reviewing previous and draft copies of the child’s IEP, making recommendations for goal changes/new goals, advocating for services and accommodations during the child’s formal IEP meeting, and assisting in teaching the goals listed in the IEP during the intensive therapy sessions. This is a great program for families who are new to the IEP process or feel that their child is not receiving the services that they feel are necessary in the school setting.
If you are interested in one or more of these services for your child/family, please feel free to contact our main location in Tampa at 813-814-2000 or our Wesley Chapel location at 813-345-8584 to schedule a complimentary meet and greet with one of our Board Certified Behavior Analysts. We look forward to working with you!